Are you living in USA with a visa? Beware “8 CFR Part 265”!

You just have been admitted to USA with a new visa? Congratulations!

During all the time you were preparing your visa petition, if you were in USA, you were living temporarily somewhere, and you must have declared this temporary address to immigration services at some point. Now that you have been admitted to USA and will establish here for a few years, you will need your own place.

But… have you heard about 8 CFR Part 265 ?

This article states that, if you are the holder of a nonimmigrant visa (other than A or G) or of an immigrant visa (green card), then you must report to USCIS within 10 days any change of address. Note that this regulation applies to any nonimmigrant present in the United States for more than 30 days (thus potentially to tourists admitted under the Visa Waiver Program).

Failing to comply with this rule is a violation of your status, and a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you can be fined up to you $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. You are also subject to removal from the USA!

So, do not forget to report any change of address to USCIS, it is easy and free of charge.

You can report your change of address to USCIS either by sending the form AR-11 or directly online:

• If you wish to mail in the form AR-11, you should print, fill out then send it by certified mail with return receipt. Do not forget to sign the form! The mailing address is noted on the form. Keep a copy for your records, and double-check with USCIS whether your address was updated in USCIS database by calling its agents (1-800-375-5283); You can access to this form by clicking here.

• if you wish to update your address online (recommended), you can do so by clicking on the link provided here and follow the instructions.